The lead Republican of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Senator Roger Wicker (R-Miss), has introduced the "PRO-SPEECH" bill that would prohibit Big Tech from controlling online speech.
The "Promoting Rights and Online Speech Protections to Ensure Every Consumer is Heard" Act is designed to protect consumers by promoting internet freedom and competition.
The big social media companies continue to abuse their market power by censoring content, suppressing certain viewpoints, and prioritizing favored political speech. It is time for Congress to act to ensure the internet can be an open forum where diverse views are expressed.”U.S. Senator Roger Wicker, R-Miss
The PRO-SPEECH Act would:
- Preserve consumers’ ability to access lawful content, applications, services, or devices that do not interfere with an internet platform’s functionality or pose a data privacy or data security risk to a user;
- Prohibit internet platforms from taking any actions against users based on racial, sexual, religious, partisan, or ethnic grounds;
- Prohibit large internet platforms from blocking or discriminating against competing internet platforms by declaring such actions presumptively anti-competitive;
- Require an internet platform to disclose to the public accurate information regarding the platform management practices, performance characteristics, and commercial terms of service of any app store, cloud computing service, operating system, search engine, or social media network it owns; and
- Authorize the Federal Trade Commission to enforce the Act under Section 5 of the FTC Act notwithstanding any other provision of law.
Click here to read the PRO-SPEECH Act.