Virginia's new governor, Republican Glenn Youngkin, got busy immediately after his swearing-in. He signed eleven executive actions.
Among the actions: ending the controversial use and teaching of Critical Race Theory in public schools, which critics have said is a divisive and racist theory; lifting mask mandates in public schools; terminating the Virginia Parole Board; opening an investigation into the Parole Board; and opening an investigation into Loudoun County schools.
Virginia's new Attorney General, Jason Miyares, will lead the two investigations mentioned. According to Miyares: "The Virginia Parole Board broke the law when they let out murders, rapists, and cop killers early on their sentences without notifying the victims. Loudoun Country Public Schools covered up a sexual assault on school grounds for political gain, leading to an additional assault of a young girl...These investigations are not to solely go after or bring criminal charges against any one actor, but to learn what mistakes were made so that no other Parole Board or schools ever repeats them."
Read each of the executive actions below, as well as the announcement from Youngkin's office.
Governor Glenn Youngkin Signs 11 Day One Executive Actions
RICHMOND— Governor Glenn Youngkin today signed nine Executive Orders and two Executive Directives at the Virginia State Capitol, acting on several of his Day One promises to Virginians. The actions include an executive order ending the use of inherently divisive concepts – including Critical Race Theory – in public education, an executive order affirming the rights of parents to make decisions on masks in schools, and an executive order terminating the Virginia Parole Board and requesting the Attorney General begin a full investigation of the Board’s actions. “It’s Day One, and we are going to work just like we promised,” said Governor Youngkin. “The important steps we are taking today begins the work of restoring excellence in education, making our communities safer, opening Virginia for business and reinvigorating job growth, and making government work for the people, and not the other way around. My Day One Game Plan also includes 59 pieces of legislation and a package of more than a dozen budget amendments I am working on with General Assembly leaders, including our efforts to double the standard deduction, eliminate the grocery tax, and end the tax on the first $40,000 in veteran retirement pay. It’s a new day in Virginia, but the work is only beginning.”
- Executive Order Number One delivers on his Day One promise to restore excellence in education by ending the use of divisive concepts, including Critical Race Theory, in public education.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number One.
- Executive Order Number Two delivers on his Day One promise to empower Virginia parents in their children’s education and upbringing by allowing parents to make decisions on whether their child wears a mask in school.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Two.
- Executive Order Number Three delivers on his Day One promise to restore integrity and confidence in the Parole Board of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Three.
- Executive Order Number Four delivers on his Day One promise to investigate wrongdoing in Loudoun County.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Four.
- Executive Order Number Five delivers on his Day One promise to make government work for Virginians by creating the Commonwealth Chief Transformation Officer.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Five.
- Executive Order Number Six delivers on his Day One promise to declare Virginia open for business.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Six.
- Executive Order Number Seven delivers on his Day One promise to combat and prevent human trafficking and provide support to survivors.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Seven.
- Executive Order Number Eight delivers on his Day One promise to establish a commission to combat antisemitism.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Eight.
- Executive Order Number Nine delivers on his Day One promise to withdraw from the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI).
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Nine.
- Executive Directive Number One delivers on his fulfilling his Day One promise to jumpstart our economy by cutting job killing regulations by 25 percent.
Read the full text of Executive Directive Number One.
- Executive Directive Number Two delivers on his fulfilling his Day One promise to restore individual freedoms and personal privacy by rescinding the vaccine mandate for all state employees.
Read the full text of Executive Directive Number Two.
Visit the Lemonade Mermaid Store today
Original and Custom items for Land or Sea Mermaids