The following is an excerpt from MedPage Today.
Tufts Medical Center recently placed 45-year-old anesthesiologist Sadeq Quraishi, MD, on leave after he was arrested in a federal sting operation and accused of attempted sex trafficking of a child, 7NEWS Boston reported.
On Monday, the DOJ announced that Quraishi was one of four men from the greater Boston area that had been arrested and charged with attempting to pay for sex with 12- and 14-year-old girls.
The agency said that, if convicted, the defendants face mandatory minimum sentences of 10 or 15 years in prison.
Quraishi and the other defendants each responded to an advertisement on a website used to advertise commercial sex acts, and communicated via text message with an individual who purported to be selling young girls for sex, the DOJ said.
"Each defendant allegedly agreed to purchase sex with one or both of the advertised children and then traveled to a local hotel to have sex with the fictitious victims," the DOJ said in its announcement of the charges. "It is alleged that, upon arrival at the hotel, each defendant physically met up with the individual purporting to sell the 12- and 14-year-old girls for sex and again allegedly committed to paying to sexually abuse one or both of the children."
Shortly after Quraishi's arrest, a spokesperson for Tufts Medical Center provided WHDH-TV with the following statement: "When we learned today of the disturbing allegations made against Dr. Quraishi, we immediately suspended his medical staff privileges, and he has been placed on leave while we await further information from law enforcement."
In a statement, U.S. Attorney Rachael Rollins said in a statement that the arrests "show that the sex trafficking of children is happening every day."
Read more here.