The following information was released Dec. 8 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC.)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (CDC/ATSDR) has released updated guidance to help state, tribal, local, and territorial public health agencies, and other partners as they investigate patterns of disease in communities, including cancer, and environmental concerns.
CDC/ATSDR conducted extensive scientific literature reviews and gathered comprehensive feedback via focus group sessions, meetings and interviews with community members, subject matter experts, and state, tribal, local, and territorial partners.
The new guidance:
- Places a greater emphasis on engaging and communicating with community members,
- Recommends health departments consider proactive evaluation of cancer registry data at regular intervals to identify unusual patterns of cancer in a timelier fashion,
- Replaces the steps in the 2013 Guidelines with new investigative phases and detailed criteria to:
- address environmental concerns more broadly, and
- de-emphasize statistical significance as the primary criterion for moving forward with evaluating unusual patterns of cancer.
Revising the guidelines was a component of Trevor’s Law, a section included in the Frank Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act.
Funding to specifically revise the guidelines and associated work to support the development of them was included in the FY 2019-22 appropriations.
The new guidelines, as well as accompanying tools and templates, can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/cancer-environment/index.html.
GEORGE F EADY says
WELL HELL I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SHOW HOW BAD THE DRINKING WATER IS IN FL FOR LAST 25 YEARS. IN 1997 THERE WAS A LOT OF MERCURY DUMPED IN THE FL PANHANDLE. SHARYL I SENT THIS TO YOU BUT NOW I KNOW IT WAS BLOCKED FROM GETTING TO YOU AND THE REST. WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN (BECAUSE THE MERCURY WAS DUMPED BY (EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE) IN SANTA ROSA CO.. AT A LAND FILLED OWNED BY COMMISSSONER GORDEN GOODEN ) AND IT WAS IN HIS DISTRICK. MADE IT EASY TO COVER UP.. FL HAS THE 3 RD HIEST CANSER DEATHS. NY AND CALF IS HIER. BY NOW AT LEAST 5O,OOO CANSER DEATHS IS BEHIND THIS. IT WAS A MISSTACK. BUT THEY TRYED TO CLEAN IT UP AND FELLED. AND DID NOT WARN THE PUBLIC. THAT MADE IT A CRIME. AND WITH THE DEATHS IT IS A BIG ONE .I HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS/IF YOU WOUNT TO EXPOST WHAT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO AND WILL STAND BEHINE EVERY WORD I SAY WITH ALL THAT I AM