You are here:Home›News›Eleven Alternative Investigative Journalism Sources
Eleven Alternative Investigative Journalism Sources
One of the most frequent questions people ask me after reading Stonewalled is: Where can I find good journalism that speaks truth to power in a fearless fashion? The traditional television news networks, national print organizations and local news still produce some great reporting. Here are some additional sources you might want to check out:
2. The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by Charles Lewis. It’s one of the country’s oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. Their stated mission: To serve democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of public trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism.
3. The Investigative Project on Terrorism is a non-profit research group founded in 1995 by Steven Emerson, an internationally recognized expert on terrorism and national security and author. It is recognized as the world’s most comprehensive data center on radical Islamic terrorist groups. The IPT accepts no funding from outside the United States, or from any governmental agency or political or religious institutions.
4. ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. They produce “journalism that shines a light on exploitation of the weak by the strong and on the failures of those with power to vindicate the trust placed in them.”
6. PBS Frontline produces documentaries that have never shied away from tough, controversial issues or complex stories. In an age of anchor celebrities and snappy sound bites, FRONTLINE remains committed to providing a primetime venue for engaging reports that fully explore and illuminate the critical issues of our times.
7. Open Secrets by the Center for Responsive Politics produces fascinating reports compiled with the most extensive campaign donation database analyses of their kind.
8. BlueForceTracker.com was started in 2014 by former military Special Ops officer Nolan Peterson. It aims to close the growing civilian-military divide by providing an unbiased, unfiltered and realistic account of what the military does and the world in which it operates. The mission of Blue Force Tracker is to report on and analyze issues related to U.S. national security, foreign affairs and veterans issues from a team of journalists with backgrounds in the military, intelligence services or diplomatic corps, as well as those who have unique first-hand knowledge of foreign regions where U.S. national interests are at stake.
9. Fusion.net is a joint venture between Univision and ABC that produces some original, investigative reporting. It is a TV and digital news and lifestyle network for Millennials that generally focuses on justice and equality stories.
10. The Center for Investigative Reporting believes journalism that moves citizens to action is an essential pillar of democracy. Since 1977, CIR has relentlessly pursued and revealed injustices that otherwise would remain hidden from the public eye.
11. Investigative Reporting Program at UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism was established in 2006 by veteran investigative reporter Lowell Bergman and is dedicated to promoting and protecting the practice of investigative reporting. Through its various projects, students have opportunities to gain mentorship and practical experience in breaking major stories for some of the nation’s foremost print and broadcast outlets.
Order Sharyl Attkisson’s best selling book: “Stonewalled: My Fight For Truth Against the Forces of Obstruction, Intimidation and Harassment in Obama’s Washington.” Signed copies can be ordered here.
Since this article refers to both President and Mrs. Clinton, they are sometimes referred to by their first names for clarity. Most of the information is from the FBI report. Some contextual facts and dates have been added. The Takeaways. The Players. The Timeline. The Takeaways The FBI could not review all of the […]